Thursday 3 February 2011

3 villages that I love

Am I right in saying that we do like to be beside the sea side? Looking out my window, it’s a gloomy day – sun and sand sound just the thing! Then Ericeira may be for you – I know it’s not exactly an historical village but I just had to share it with you on the way to Óbidos and Sintra!

When I first saw it, years ago now, it was totally undiscovered. Today it is really well known for its surfing, water sports and sunbathing, but it is still as lovely as when I first saw it.

The town is not too far north of Lisbon – 50 kms northeast of the city to be exact. Ericeira was once just a small fishing village and this feeling still remains, although a fair number of tourists now visit, especially the surfers. It is perched on cliffs overlooking the Atlantic and the pretty narrow streets with whitewashed chapels and white houses edged in blue are a joy to wander around before heading to the sandy beaches. When we were here we gorged ourselves on very reasonably priced seafood – yum!

Moving down to Óbidos …this has got to be one of the most beautiful villages ever. If I had my way, I would buy a home nearby, perhaps outside the city walls – it really is so spectacular and atmospheric. Narrow cobbled streets, lined with whitewashed, bougainvillaea-draped houses, are surrounded by huge castle walls. I walked the walls right around the town, peeping into people’s lives as they went about their daily business – fascinating. Although not right on the sea, nearby is the large lagoon of Lagoa de Óbidos where you can swim, sunbathe or even hire windsurfing equipment.

And then finally Sintra. Sintra is a UNESCO world heritage site and it soon becomes clear why. This is a truly lovely town, only about 20 miles from Lisbon, with a plethora of castles to be visited and much to see and do. There are lovely green forested areas on the walk up to the castles above the town, which are cool and relaxing to stroll through in the summer months. Not only that, but Sintra is near the coast and many beautiful beaches lie only a short drive away. The best way to get there is to take the tram: all year round an old-fashioned eléctrico tram service ferries people from Sintra to various villages and beaches.

I’m not the only person from the UK to love the place: Lord Byron visited in the 18th century, writing that the town is "perhaps in every respect the most delightful in Europe," and calling it a "glorious Eden" in his epic poem Childe Harold's Pilgrimage. He helped to put the town on the tourist map and it became popular for those on the European ‘Grand Tour’. Today it is just as lovely.

I hope my wanderings have given you a few ideas as to where to at least visit as you look to buy that property you have been searching for – do let me know when you find it won’t you?

Until then, all best wishes,

Carol

The Overseas Guides Company
http://www.portugalbuyingguide.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment