Thursday 25 November 2010

Will you be part of Portugal’s history? Part 2

We started off looking at Portugal’s older historical villages. The question I am most often asked is how to choose where to buy…and that’s why I have been discussing a few of the lovely old towns you may want to look at.

How do you travel? I must say that I usually have some sort of plan in my minds as to where I am going, but the first time I visited Portugal I just wandered where the wind – and my really good Cadagon Guide – took me. I have never had a more wonderful holiday and one of the places I found the most breathtaking was Marvão.

One of the reasons you may find it a great place to buy is that it is very near the Spanish border so you can easily visit both countries – or, if you are renting it out, that may be a good idea for potential rental opportunities. Not only is the town utterly breathtaking but the view is really stunning too. It is set high on top of a hill, 1000m up, and commands unrivalled views of the surrounding countryside.

From there I dropped down to Vila Viçosa. This town is utterly different: cool, shady and elegant, with a spectacular Ducal Palace that bears a visit.

Evora was next – a lovely town that is a historian’s delight. But even if you are not interested in history this town would be hard to resist. I sat in the shade, sipping on my cool drink and gazing at the roses that covered a Roman temple – I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Dare I say this myself: I think my photo is pretty good – what do you think?

Due to its location on a remote, rocky hillside, the small village of Marialva was an important military fortress in the Middle Ages and today it really is quite simply spectacular.

As with the other villages discussed, this village has ancient origins. It was inhabited as early as the 6th century BC by the Aravi tribe, who were followed by the Romans, Suevi and Arabs. The reason it was such a prized location becomes clear when you see its impregnable location.

Marialva is the old pilgrims’ way and still celebrates the annual holiday of St James the Apostle on 25th July. Ancient streets flanked by walls and Gothic doorways lead to a small square with a distinctly medieval atmosphere. The 16th century parish church, with a Manueline doorway, is dedicated to Santiago (St James). Crowning the town is the castle, one of the largest in the region.
The walled town of Trancoso still retains much of its medieval atmosphere too. Entering the town is an impressive experience because of its large walls, which open to form the old gate known as the Porta d’El Rei.


Tomar I absolutely loved…it was also heavily influenced by the Templars. They helped the Portuguese fight the Moors in the 12th and 13th centuries were rewarded with extensive land and political power. Castles and churches were built to protect the Templars; one of those was the castle and convent of Tomar, one of Portugal's most brilliant architectural accomplishments, built in 1162.
I stayed in an utterly adorable little hotel that was practically built into the walls of the old castle. I was thrilled when one of our OGC readers bought himself a house here… I could see it so clearly in my mind’s eye…lucky Philip!

Later some time I will discuss two lovely places that are nearer the sea in case you like to get your feet wet!

Bye for now and warmest greetings,

Carol

The Overseas Guides Company
http://www.Portugalbuyingguide.com

No comments:

Post a Comment